Thursday 21 October 2010

Fatigue

Four days continual training, combined no doubt with a lack of sleep, has led to some fatigue issues.  Last night I couldn't crank out more than 30 mins on the bike before I could feel myself slumping.  Finished off with 30 mins steep incline fast walking.  Overall calorie burn near 600 calories.  Not too bad all things considered.

Although I know I should really just take a break (Tuesday would have been apt really) I'm wondering if my energy drop is mostly due to my balance between training style and calorie intake.  My training is honestly geared more towards CV strength and endurance rather than fat loss.  I work my hardest when I'm training.  I don't pay attention to going out of my ideal fat burning heart rate zone.  I don't believe in not working hard so I just can't stand the long sessions of steady state, barely warmed up training that is recommended for fat loss.  But doing this kind of work without feeding my body all the fuel it needs is taking a toll.  With this work level I should be upping my calorie intake, pre-loading carbs before sessions, having a sports drink during etc 

Now, no doubt by next week, having had three days off, I'll forget what I'm about to say here and go back to working my balls off until I next hit this kind of low point.  But perhaps if I'm going to be at the gym daily without recovery days between I should be cutting my hard training down from an hour to 30 minutes anyway.  I could go harder during that time, put the bike on it's race settings rather than interval.  But cut down on the time.  Follow that up with something lighter like the steep walking, or even some boring ass normal exercise bike work.

The other option for the future is to try keep to a pattern of a day off for every two days on.  Or at least, get off the spinner every third day at the very least.  This way I can still do long interval sessions regularly but still get the break I need to recover.

Finally, I have to stop being an idiot and make sure I get a good nights sleep.  I can feel the fatigue right now throughout my legs, back, abs and shoulders and I've only been awake 3 hours.  I must start guarding my sleep.



Ahh bollocks, let's just grind it out tonight till I'm sick.  I have three days off after tonight, stop being a pussy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment