Thursday 4 November 2010

The running bug

Okay, Tuesday fell flat.  No booze, not much crap (couple of small choc's left from halloween) but no exercise.  Thumbs down.

Yesterday though was good.  Straight onto the tread mill.  Ten minutes warm up with increasing intensity, start the cycles (2 min 7.0, 1.5 min 9.0, 1.5 min 12.0) for 45 mins (final cycle was 2 mins 7.0, 1 min 9.0, 2 mins 12.5, all on higher incline).  5 mins cool down.  I don't think I've been so sweaty outside of the sauna.  It was brilliant.

I always found running on the treadmill deathly dull and if my music wasn't keeping me going it was just a royal pain in the ass.  Doing these cycles is different.  I am only looking at the next shift in pace rather than to next 50 minutes of plodding on.  During the 2 min walks I'm focusing on dropping my heart rate ready for the next.  I am fully engaged in my training.  Also, it's challenging my heart to stretch itself at a higher level than it's used to, then get back as close to resting as possible.  The higher end bits take me out of my cardio zone and into glycogen burning, which is good for calorie burn once I stop running.  This is definitely not boring anymore.

I'm looking forward to tonight's session.  I might hit the spin bike to give my feet a rest min, or split my time between both.  See how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment