Monday 21 February 2011

New to the Blogroll

Just a quick post to bring to your attention a couple of newcomers to the blogroll down on your right.  One of them, Guido Fawkes blog, was a terrible ommission by yours truly when setting this site up.  His Westminster gossip is always informative, infuriating and most importantly very, very funny.

The second is Joe Abercrombie's blog.  For those unfortunate enough to have to yet read any of his work I cannot strongly recommend him enough.  His characters are familiar but corrupted archetypes from fantasy, blending classic Tolkein-style worlds with a harsh dose of reality and humour.  His blog is pretty good too, but it's there as much for notifying me for when his future books or book tours will be up and coming.

One of things I like so much about Joe's work may also be how very quotable some of his characters are, and I'll leave you with a couple of my favourites:

"A man sleeps through most of his life, even when awake. You get so little time, yet still you spend it utterly oblivious. Angry, frustrated, fixated on meaningless nothings. That drawer does not close flush with the front of my desk. What cards does my opponent hold, and how much money can I win from him? I wish I were taller. What will I have for dinner, for I am not fond of parsnips? It takes a moment like this to jerk us to our senses, to draw our eyes from the mud to the heavens, to root our attention in the present. Now you realise how precious is each moment. That is my gift to you."   Shenkt, Best Served Cold
"Once you've got a task to do, it's better to do it than live with the fear of it." Logen Ninefingers, pretty much all of The First Law Trilogy

No comments:

Post a Comment